After my first post about the hotchpotch soup, this one in non forgiving, unfortunately. Need the right ingredients. But hey, whenever healthy cooking becomes bothering we find ways not to stick with it. So here I will make it simple.
Tom Kha Gai literally mean Chicken Galangal Soup
Most Thai recipes require authentic ingredients with which you can whip up any good Thai recipe.
Galangal -
call it a Thai ginger. But don't think of substituting it with ginger. Its aroma and flavor is no way gingery
Kaffir Lime Leaves -
known for its distinct citrus aroma
Lemongrass -
Asian citrus herb. But no lime can replace it. Its still easy to find fresh in grocery stores.
Palm sugar -
made from the sap of date palm know for it low glycemic index. Its the next gen Agave Nectar. Can be replaced with brown sugar for laughs n giggles
Now the big question is to find these non easily found authentic ingredients. Or if you find them, how to use them fairly. Lets be honest, some of these are not cheap and them going down the drain rotten after one use hurts. By all means, get all these fresh if u plan to make a thai menu for a week. As with all these, little goes a long way.
After few rounds of guilt when I had to throw these fresh amazing ingredients as I could not do justice with them, I made a discovery
Lobo Brand Tom Ka Paste
A packet full of awesomeness.
The only things u now need :)
Chicken/Tofu (choose as per food habits)
15-20 sliced mushrooms ( I like button or shitake)
2 can coconut milk
1 can water
brown sugar to taste
1/2 Tsp chopped cilantro
crushed chillies to taste
Place the packet in hot water so the paste inside comes out easily. Mix it with coconut milk, water and bring to boil. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil a few time and the soup is ready.
I like a lot of veggies in my soup so I also add broccoli, snap peas, baby corn, carrots. All depending on availability in my fridge.
Ain't that simply healthy. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment